If you have pressed play on a video and nothing happens, try checking your router. The instructions below demonstrate how to check the settings on a Netgear router but you can check on whatever router you have.
Find your router's username and password
- Depending on your router, the username and password to log into its control panel may be on the bottom (or side). Figure 1 illustrates where to find this information on a Netgear router.
- Your router may or may not be a Netgear like the above image, in which case the format will look different depending on what model it is. If you can’t find something like that on your router, look for its model name and number. In the photo above, it would be a Netgear N900, Model number: WNDR4500. The name is in the middle, and the model number is to the right of the green box.
- Once you’ve found the model name and number of your router, open a browser and go to www.google.com.
- Type “How to unblock sites on [model name, model number]” in the search textbox and search.
Results should include the user name and password for your router model (the
user names and passwords are universal for the router, unlike Wifi passwords,
which you personalize).
Once you've got your username and password, log into the router control panel by going to the website of the router’s
control panel. Each router model has a different link. The link for your router can be found on the back or side of your router (in Figure 1 you can see the website http://www.routerlogin.net
inside the green box). If
it does not, it should be included in the results of the Google search, or you
can do another search for “Control panel for [model name, model number].”
- Once you are on the router login website, you will be asked to enter your router user name and password.
After you enter the name and password you will be directed to your router control panel. Look for an option to Unblock Websites, or an option named similarly. It may
be behind an option for Security. Again, it depends on the router model, but it
should be easy to find.
Look for a site that says www.doubleclick.net and unblock it. Doubleclick is the site PBS uses to run advertisements on Roku. Unblocking it will
allow your connection to access the site, letting the ads play, and then
letting the videos play.
If you don’t see that site, try unblocking all of the sites.
You may want to write down which sites your router was trying and later try
adding them back one by one to diminish the likelihood of security breaches.